ST PATRICKS DAY - Black Velvet Baby Cakes
These gorgeous Guinness puds are an indulgent treat - and perfect for St Patrick's Day on 17 March
• 100g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
• 175g light brown soft sugar
• 1 egg
• 100g self-raising flour
• 50g ground almonds
• ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 5 tbsp cocoa, plus a little extra for decorating
• 150ml Guinness
For the cream
• 200ml double cream
• 25g icing sugar
• splash Champagne or Baileys (optional)
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
Grease and line the bases of 6 dariole moulds with baking parchment.
Put the butter, sugar, egg, flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate, cocoa and Guinness in a mixing bowl. Beat together until lump-free.
Divide between the tins then bake for 20-25 mins until risen and a skewer poked in comes out clean.
Cool for 15 mins, then remove from tins and cool completely – the same way up they baked, don’t turn upside-down.
2. Whip cream with the icing sugar and splash of Champagne or Baileys (if using) until thick.
Spoon a dollop onto the top of each cake and dust with a touch of cocoa.